MFJ’s #WidenWindrush Campaign is a legal and political campaign to win an amendment to the Windrush Scheme. Currently the descendants and family members of the Windrush Generation – those who came after 1973 & 1988 are excluded from using the Windrush Taskforce (who operate the Windrush Scheme) to regularise their stay. This is because of the racism encoded in British Immigration legislation of 1968, 1971 and 1981 – we see #WidenWindrush as a step in the fight to challenge these and subsequent racist laws.
This page gathers together resources and information about the campaign.
- Read our submission to the Windrush Lessons learned Review, this outlines the history of these racist laws and our perspective for what needs to happen to reverse the injustice that led to the Windrush Scandal: MFJ Windrush Lessons Learned Review
- MPs Briefing: This explains clearly what we are asking from politicians who through a simple amendment to the Windrush Scheme could open the door to citizenship for thousands currently at risk of detention and deportation. It includes some examples of case studies for who is affected by this narrowness of the Windrush Scheme. Widen Windrush briefing paper
- Please donate to help build the campaign here
- Use our Trade Union Widen Windrush Model motion to get your Trade or Student Union supporting the #WidenWindrush campaign
- Watch videos from our events on our Vimeo #WidenWindrush Channel
- One of the UK’s largest Trade Unions UNISON supports #WidenWindrush campaign following unanimous vote at their National Delegate Conference 2019 (relevant excerpts pictured below from Composite H, find full motion in composite booklet here)
MPs supporting the campaign to #WidenWindrush
- Janet Daby, Labour, Lewisham East
- David Lammy, Labour, Tottenham
- Diane Abbott, Labour, Shadow Home Secretary, Hackney North
- Eleanor Smith, Labour, Wolverhampton South West
- Afzal Khan, Labour, Shadow Minister Immigration, Manchester Gorton
- Dawn Butler, Labour, Shadow women & Equalities, Brent Central
- Lyn Brown, Labour, West Ham
- Catherine West, Labour, Hornsey & Wood Green
- Sandy Martin, Labour, Ipswich
- Khalid Mahmood, Labour, Birmingham Perry Barr
- Marsha de Cordova, Labour, Battersea
- Chi Onwurah, Labour, Newcastle upon Tyne Central
- Lucy Powell, Labour, Manchester Central
- Vicky Foxcroft, Labour, Lewisham deptford
- Stephen Timms, Labour, East Ham
- Virendra Sharma, labour, Ealing Southall
- Caroline Lucas, Green, Brighton Pavillion
- Peter grant, SNP, Glenrothes
- Shabana Mahmood, Labour, Birmingham Ladywood
Don’t see your MP listed? Use this page to find your MP and their contact details, download the briefing paper above, send it to them asking them to support the campaign to widen the Windrush Scheme – if you affected let them know about your situation as well.
If you fit any of the following categories you might be able to join our test cases challenging the narrowness of the scheme, get in touch! (These are not exhaustive, just examples of some of the cases of people we are working with)
a) Your parents and siblings come to the UK in the 60’s or 70’s and you were left in the care of a relative, you did not come to the UK till after 1988 as an adult.
b) You are the descendant (child, grandchild, great grandchild) of someone who came from the Commonwealth to settle in the UK before 1973. You did not come to the UK till after 1988 as an adult.
c) You came to the UK as a child with your parent/s between 1973 and 1988 but have had trouble regularising your stay.
d) You are part of an extensive family in the UK that stretches back to the 60’s/70’s or earlier.
e) You had ILR as the descendant/family member of someone from the Windrush Generation yet have had it taken away due to criminal conviction.
Press Coverage of #WidenWindrush and the cases of people affected…
25/06/2019: The Voice – https://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/london-traffic-stopped-windrush-justice-protest
22/06/2019: The Guardian – https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/22/windrush-generation-to-be-honoured-by-waterloo-monument
22/02/2019: The London Economic – https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/these-are-the-windrush-descendants-detained-now-for-mass-deportation-to-jamaica/02/02/
29/01/2019: Labour Campaign for Free Movement https://www.labourfreemovement.org/unison-black-members-conference-votes-to-fight-for-free-movement/
01/05/2018: Channel 4 News – https://www.channel4.com/news/grandmother-child-of-the-windrush-told-she-cant-stay-in-uk
28/04/2018: The Guardian – https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/28/yarls-wood-woman-told-she-will-be-removed-from-uk-to-jamaica
Collection of #WidenWindrush related photographs – https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/widen-windrush.html